When a monarch makes a decision to raise taxes to an unfair level, inflict martial rule on his kingdom, or something worse, his advisor will likely say, "But sir, what of...the assassin?" The monarch will wave his hand and dismiss it as a mere legend. He will regret it when you appear in the night beside his bed.
Prerequisite: 21st level, assassin
You have made it your goal to put an end to every tyrant and evil ruler. Brazenly declaring your intent to overthrow them never works out for lone heroes, but you have a better way of doing it. You infiltrate kingdoms using your stealth and mastery of negotiations. You plan events months in advance, making sure the heir to the throne will be one who agrees with your values. And then, when the time has finally come, one night, the king or queen is found dead in the morning. Of course you don't have any blood on your hands; in fact, you're long gone by the time anyone finds out.
You travel from town to city, from kingdom to realm, setting things to the way you believe they should be set. Your reputation is feared by all rulers, because they know that if they make a wrong decision, you will come to correct it.
- Ever Lingering Fear: Historians will never admit that the odd happenings to several royal families were caused by one person. You know that they were. There are legends about you, though they might not call you by your true name. When you need to, you can simply disappear for a while using your shadow magic to hide your trail. That magic keeps you ever lingering in the world. You might fake your death to keep the legend alive, but regardless you continue to exist, even if you remain silent for centuries. When a tyrant tries to take too much power, you will always be there to maintain the balance between light and shadow.
LEVEL 21: MASTER INFILTRATOR
You have the skills to make your existence purely hypothetical. As far as anyone else knows, you could exist, but until they've actually met you and you've told them who you are and what you do, there are much simpler reasons for the happenings you've caused. Reasons that you made sure were there.
- Benefit: Your Dexterity score and one other ability score of your choice both increase by 2.
LEVEL 24: SWIFT PUNISHMENT
You make sure your enemies are weakened before you go in for the kill. It may not be fair or right, but the tyrants you destroy were not fair or right either.
- Benefit: You gain a +15 bonus to damage rolls against any helpless creature or creature that is under a poison effect.
LEVEL 26: FALSE DEATH
Shadow magic helps you to fake your death almost perfectly. In the midst of combat, you can pull it off to then strike at your almost killer.
- Benefit: You gain the false death power.
False Death - Tyrant's Doom Utility 26
Even as your enemy is looking at your corpse after just killing you, it feels your dagger in its back.
Daily * Healing, Shadow
No Action - Personal
Trigger: You drop to 0 hit points or fewer.
Effect: At the start of your next turn, your body becomes a false body. It looks and behaves just like your dead body would. As a free action, you can dismiss the false body. You regain hit points as though you had spent a healing surge and reappear in a square within 20 squares of your false body. You have combat advantage against every enemy until the end of your next turn.
LEVEL 30: HIDDEN LEGEND
When you want to be hidden, your shadow magic ensures that no one can find you.
- Benefit: You gain the hidden legend power.
Hidden Legend - Tyrant's Doom Utility 30
You can keep yourself hidden from anyone, creating a legend that no one can know the truth behind.
Encounter * Shadow
Free Action - Personal
Trigger: You could make a Stealth check to become hidden.
Effect: You become hidden as if you had made a Stealth check and rolled a natural 20. You do not need any cover or concealment. You take no penalties to this check from moving more than 2 squares or running, and you don't need to keep out of sight, keep quiet, or keep still to remain hidden. You are no longer hidden only when you choose to reveal yourself, when you make an attack, when a creature makes a successful Perception check against your Stealth check, or when a creature tries to enter your space.